Update: 

As of 8 PM Wednesday, the fire at the landfill was contained. 

Public Safety Director Chris Slemp said it was not possible to know the cause of the fire, as many things could have been present in the trash which could ignite under the right circumstances. 

"It could be anything in household trash, anything from an old battery to hot ashes or old electronics," Slemp said. 

The lithium ion batteries which power most of our small electronics are known to cause fires or explode under the right conditions. It is advised that these types of batteries not be disposed with household trash for the reason that they may start fires. 

Several fire departments responded to the fire at the landfill including Blairs, Dry Fork, Chatham, Tunstall, Mt. Hermon and Callands fire departments. 

Original Story:

The Blairs Fire Department is responding to around one quarter of an acre of trash on fire at the Pittsylvania County landfill on Rainbow Lane in Dry Fork. 

Fire engines and tankers have been dispatched. Heavy smoke is visible from the entrance. 

This article will be updated with more information.

Tags

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.