The Danville Fire Department was dispatched to 500 Keen Street for a kitchen on fire at 6:57 pm. The first apparatus arrived to find light smoke from the front door of a small, two-story house.
As the first company walked around the house they could see fire in the kitchen. Fire attack lines were pulled. Firefighters entered the house and extinguished fire throughout the kitchen. The fire did not extend beyond the kitchen. Smoke and heat did extend throughout both floors of the residence.
The occupants were outside the house when the Fire Department arrived. They were in the front section of the house when a working smoke alarm notified them of the fire in the kitchen. The smoke alarm was installed by the DFD several years ago. A quick call to 911 also helped limit damage to the house.
The cause of the fire was unattended cooking. The occupants will not be able to live in the house until repairs are made. They will be staying with family tonight and will also be receiving assistance from the Red Cross.
The fire department received assistance from the Danville Life Saving Crew, Danville Police Department, and Danville Utilities. The DFD responded with 3 engines, 1 ladder, 3 chief officers, and a safety officer. Apparatus remained on scene for one hour and forty minutes.
If you need a smoke alarm, please call the DFD at (434)799-5226 between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm to schedule an install. Smoke alarms are free to the citizens of Danville. Every home should have at least one smoke alarm. Smoke alarms should be tested at least once a month. Exit drills should also be contacted when you test your alarms.