Main Street south of the Davis Street Intersection, Minor Street, Evergreen Road and the Chatham Health and Rehabilitation Center customers within the Town of Chatham were notified Feb. 18 of a problem with Chatham drinking water and were advised to boil all drinking/cooking water until further notice.
Water service and loss of water pressure occurred due to a water line leak between the Town of Chatham and Tightsqueeze. The problem was corrected on Friday. The Boil Water Notice was issued as a safety precaution due to limited service and pressure in the water system.
Bacteriological sampling was performed Friday and Saturday. All distribution samples have tested negative for the detection of coliform bacteria in the water.
"We are pleased to report that the problem has been corrected and that it is no longer necessary to boil all drinking/cooking water," said Kelly Hawker, Chatham's clerk and treasurer. "We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience."
Town officials urge Chatham residents to share this information with all the other people who drink this water, especially those who may not have received this notice directly. You can do this by posting this notice in a public place or distributing copies by hand or mail.